Bookmark Label (optional)
Max. 20 characters
- Preliminary Instructions and Insights
- Be Prepared to Serve God
- We are called to serve God and Jesus Christ
- Be willing to do God’s work
- Ensure that you are ready to do God’s work
- Live a godly life in readiness for doing God’s work
- Consecrate yourself to serve God . . .
- . . . Be holy and set apart
- Note: The purification of the priests and Levites for consecration and preparedness for God’s service
- Be Devoted to God’s Work
- Devote yourself to God’s work
- Serve God only – do not serve anything or anyone else . . .
- . . . Seek to please God rather than people
- Put God and Jesus Christ before everyone else
- Put God’s and Jesus Christ’s interests before your own interests and other matters
- Give up your life to live for God and Jesus Christ . . .
- . . . Be willing even to endanger your life
- Be willing to give up everything – even life’s most basic and dearest things
- Reasons to Serve God
- He is our God, who has done great things for us
- We are God’s and Jesus Christ’s servants
- God cares for his servants . . .
- . . . God rescues his servants
- Your work for God will be productive
- You will be rewarded for your work . . .
- . . . You will be rewarded particularly in the afterlife
- Whoever does not produce good “fruit” will be cut off from God and Jesus Christ
- Further warnings and consequences regarding not doing God’s work
- Note: Do not work for things that do not satisfy or do not last – and so are in effect meaningless
- Being Guided by God
- To be guided by God, live a godly life
- Ask God to guide you (as in troubled times)
- God and Jesus Christ’s will can even be understood through godliness and prayer
- Other sources of godly and wise guidance
- Note: In the OT, inquiring of God was at times done through an intercessor . . .
- . . . and it sometimes involved the use of lots
- Be Prepared to Serve God
- Doing God’s Work
- Do God’s Work – the Best You Can
- Do the Work through God
- Apart from God and Jesus Christ we can accomplish nothing
- Pray to God for help in the work – and ask others to pray
- Do God’s work through God and his power
- Do the work by faith and in God’s “name” . . .
- . . . Do God’s work in the “name” of Jesus Christ
- Serve God through the Holy Spirit
- Note: Commit to God whatever you do
- The Manner in Which to Serve God
- Serve God in holiness and righteousness
- Serve God with humility
- Serve God with all your heart
- Serve God with zeal . . .
- . . . but zeal must not be misguided
- Be strong and courageous, as God is with those doing his work
- Do not be afraid as you do God’s work . . .
- . . . Instead, fear God and serve him faithfully
- Further points on the manner in which to serve God
- Working with Other Believers
- Spiritual Gifts
- God gives each of his people a spiritual gift, through the Holy Spirit
- God’s people are given different spiritual gifts
- The various spiritual gifts . . .
- . . . Examples of the Holy Spirit enabling believers to speak in other languages and to prophesy
- Make good use of spiritual gifts, using them appropriately
- Use your spiritual gift to build up the church
- Further instructions about spiritual gifts
- Other insights concerning spiritual gifts